Hello! I am Shayaan, a student in P5.
I chose this topic because I am worried about the level of water pollution & the harm and consequences our careless actions bring to marine life. We as humans are being unfair and haven’t realised the consequences.
Water bodies around the world are changing due to human activity.
Lines of Inquiry
- Reasons for water pollution (Causation)
- Impact of water pollution on marine life (Connection)
- Action for reducing water pollution (responsibility)
How the world works
My focus Learner Profile attributes were
- Reflective: because the people who trash the sea without knowing it will reflect on what they have done when they get to know about it.
- Caring: They will be caring about the environment.
They are connected to my action because I want people to think about what they are doing not knowingly and that all the plastic and other stuff goes into the trash it does not just disappear it will always go somewhere and most of the time It goes into the seas and oceans.
The UN goals that connect to water pollution:
Good health and well-being because the dirty water can not only affect our health but the animal’s health too. Many cities & villages depend on water from lakes & rivers. Toxic water can harm their health.
Clean water and sanitation is extremely important for a healthy, disease free life for the people on our planet. We need to find better ways to control the dumping of plastic & other toxic waste in the water bodies which supply water to our homes.
Water pollution is very harmful to marine life. Turtles, dolphins and other creatures are trapped in ghost gear and floating plastic. Micro plastics are found in the bodies or fish everywhere. Oil spills are choking marine life and reducing their numbers!
My approaches to learning were; (ATLs)
Research Skills: I have used research skills because I need to research a lot and I will need those skills.
Thinking Skills: I have used thinking skills because I had to think about how I was going to do my presentation and if I was including relevant information.
Communication Skills: I have used communication skills because I had to communicate all I learned about water pollution and its causes.
Self-management skills: I had to manage myself with all the different information I was getting and meet with my check-in teachers and mentor regularly.
My links to the school Mission and vision were
My exhibition journey promoted learning through research, interviews, surveys and others. It encouraged responsibility as I worked independently with the help of mentors and managed my own schedule. It also celebrates diversity because water pollution is a global issue and I read about the efforts taken by different countries to help control it.
Main Conceptual understandings (findings, facts and insights)
During my research I found out
- The main causes for water pollution. Domestic & industrial waste, oil spills, chemical fertilizers, marine dumping, mining activity and others.
- Water is an extremely scarce and precious resource. Out of 70% only 0.007% is accessible & available for our consumption.
- All solid & liquid waste dumped into water bodies depletes its oxygen level and reduces the survival of marine life.
- Plastic items such as bottles, bags and straws choke turtles, fish and other marine creatures. Ghost gear traps over 100,000 marine animals every year.
- Boyan Slat, Founder of The Ocean Cleanup has two inventions which are currently cleaning our oceans and rivers.
- Many organisations around the world are now committed to stop water pollution by creating awareness and promoting sustainable, eco-friendly products.
I used primary resources
Interview – Ms Deshpande from Jeevat Nadi
Surveys – Two surveys on plastic & water pollution by MIS students & teachers.
I used secondary resources
- Social media
- TED talks
- Mentor & teachers
Add information here from your slides that you wish to include – not everything!
Some alarming statistics:
- At least 320 million people in China do not have access to clean drinking water.
- More cities are banning plastic bags everyday. This encourages citizens to use cloth bags and other alternatives.
- Organisations are working together with industries to reduce unnecessary plastic packaging and opt for re-use models.
- In Pune, NGOs are cleaning up the river banks and creating awareness through workshops to bring down the pollution levels.
- US, Sweden & other countries are working on seagrass restoration, which can absorb carbon,etc
My personal action will be
This project has been an eye opener for me. I have already initiated a few changes in my lifestyle.
- We carry our own bags for shopping and do not take or use any single use plastic bags.
- We are trying to reduce plastic packing especially bubble wrap and cling wrap.
- I have switched to Dant manjan (organic tooth powder). Toothpaste pollutes the water!
- We are reusing and recycling as many things as possible.
- We plan to switch to chemical free detergents.
- I also plan to create awareness amongst my friends & family.
I ask you to take action by:
1-Stop using single use plastic
2-Stop flushing pills
3- Correct disposal of oils
4-Use environment friendly detergents
5-Plant flora at lakes or rivers