Technological advancements in Virtual reality and Simulations can impact industries.
Hello, my name is Zayan and I have been associated with MISP for the last 6 years. This is my final year in the PYP. Every year has had great learning experiences and challenges that I have successfully achieved. We were the first batch to do the whole exhibition virtually and have created history at MISP. We have spent the year learning virtually and since everything has been about technology and virtual learning, I selected to explore Virtual Reality and Simulation as a topic for my exhibition. I am very passionate about gaming and my VR goggles and games have kept me entertained during the pandemic.
My central idea was: Technological advancements in Virtual reality and Simulations can impact industries.
My lines of Inquiry were:
- Uses and applications of VR and Simulation
- Impact of VR and Simulation on industries
- Responsible use of VR and Simulation
My transdisciplinary theme was: How we organize ourselves.
My concepts were Function, Connection, Responsibility
My focus Learner Profile attributes:
- Balanced because I have learnt the importance of living a balanced lifestyle through my inquiry. People are encouraged to have real life experiences rather than seeing the world only through virtual reality.
- I have been knowledgeable because i have gained new knowledge about VR and simulation and understand how it is used in so many industries across the world.
My UN Goals was Goal 9 – Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure – to build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation. I think it is linked because many industries globally use it to train and learn.
My approaches to learning were communication skills, self management and research skills.
Connection to the school Mission and Vision: It is connected to our vision because we are a community of people who play and learn and who also achieve things and contribute positively to learning and informing and being responsible. It is related to innovation, it promotes learning and encourages responsibility and therefore linked to our mission as well.
Main Conceptual understandings:
During my research I found out that
- VR and Simulation are used in almost every field globally, some examples of which are Defence, Agriculture, Health and Medical, Urban Planning, Architecture and Education.
- It is mostly used in Gaming (61%) followed by Medical and Education (41%).
- VR and Simulation is used to teach and learn.
- Vr started evolving from the 1950s and 60s with the Sensorama. In 1987 the term VR was first used. It has evolved to an extent where varied hardware and software can be used at home, like the oculus.
- Simulators were used first in the army where they used it to train pilots and in the space industry. Then it was accessible to the public after many years.
- Nowadays it is used to train pilots, soldiers, children/students, doctors and medical staff.
- VR used digitally by artists to create layers of paintings that reveal below on the same canvas. It is used in the retail and fashion industry for virtual shopping.
I used primary resources and surveyed my classmates about their knowledge of VR and simulation. I wanted to interview Maj. Debashis, I had my questionnaire ready but unfortunately I could not interview him as he was called on the field. No other army personnel was willing to participate in my interview.
I used secondary resources I used were online documentaries about the army and their training process, multiple websites on Kiddle, Wonderopolis and Destiny Discover.
Here are some of the resources I created to help spread awareness about my inquiry
Inquiry that leads to action!
My personal action will be to take breaks while using the simulator so that it does not strain my eyes and brain which is a Lifestyle choice. I ask you to go through my website and watch the video of the 8 rules of using VR responsibly and apply some of those points to your life as well to stay safe and healthy. I will also try to create a viral video to advocate about the safe use of VR and its impact on our body.
My work cited is available on my website.