The Panchwati Hill service was started to improve the biodiversity of Panchwati hill which was affected heavily in recent times due to the plantation of invasive species. Each week the group comes together to remove invasive species, plant indigenous species of plants and water them.
Initially, we looked into the causes of delays in the physical watering process and determined that the position of the water tanks was the key source of the issue. This inspired them to build a pump-powered drip irrigation system that would eliminate the requirement for human labor in the watering process. Which would be essential to fast track our goal of Ecosystem renewal at Panchwati Hill.
Once we got the idea we decided to take an initiative and began thinking further with our supervisor Miss Lila. To build the pump we would need to measure parameters such as the altitude, and power required and additionally come up with a budget for the project. While this was new to us we began researching and learning how to measure the same and came up with the idea of using a rock tied to a string to measure the height of the far side of the hill from the water tank and also the curved length of the hill using the same method. The team then assessed the plantation area to establish the specifications of the pump-based drip irrigation system, developed a bill of materials, and presented a budget estimate to the school in order to get financing. Additionally we were planning to procure a solar panel to power the pump but this was eventually cancelled as the Local volunteers arranged a grid power system at the hill which removed the need for funding for the solar panels. This also removed the need for any funding as the local team also procured the pump and pipes required. The experience of making real world physics based calculations and using our knowledge from business plan to come up with a bill of materials gave us an opportunity to use our learnings for a good cause. Additionally the experience taught us how a project is undertaken in the real world.
In conclusion, the irrigation system made at the hill has the ability to water 1000 plus plants. The overall experience was a learning curve for me and taught me a lot about how to get a project done which requires both scientific and financial expertise. This was a fantastic opportunity to bring what we learn in the classroom to make an impact in the real world.